Sunday, May 12, 2013

Gag Me With An Apron ~ Mother's Day is EVERYDAY at My House :)

Ever read that quote:

 "Don't wait for someone to bring you flowers, 

PLANT YOUR OWN GARDEN"?




I love that quote.

I love how it applies to Mothers in particular.

M.o.m.s.

Mothers Overtly Maximizing Starstatus


Lets face it ladies. Mothers Day is totally out of control. Admit it. We gouge the system.

It is time to just ' be' a mother.

Not a. . .

SUPERHERO


A mom who is flawed and imperfect and normal.

I was talking to a dear friend last night and I said,
"Well, if I am going to work from home now. then
I have to prove to myself 'I AM SUPERMOM'
and prove to myself that my kids are not picking up a price tag for my job.


It came out of my mouth and then I realized how absurd it was. Sadly, my brain does not always churn out logic. I make a myriad of decisions based on sentimentality alone. Truth

SUPER MOM?

Sounds E.X.H.A.U.S.T.I.N.G.

I am already exhausted.

. . . and if that is true, then what is left of me to actually be 'present' for my family.

Exactly. . .

NOTHING



SO

Here is my beef with all the 'Mothers Day Hu Bub'

WHY ARE WE ALL WAITING?

Why are the moms all WAITING to validate their existence, choice, role as mothers?

In my opinion, we should already be doing this ourselves.

EVERYDAY not just ONCE A YEAR


Women.

Just.

Give it up.

Let go.

Do this foryourselfeverysingleday.

Don't
just
WAIT

Stop watching everyone else surf/dance/run/play/dress up/date/travel/relax.

It is okay to just run ahead and fly a little every now and then.

Not everyday, mind you, cause sumbuddy's gotta do all that stuff in yer house the way

YOU

LIKE

IT

DONE

P.R.O.P.E.R.L.Y.

We must accept that to be happy that stuff has to be done right :) Right? :)

So...

Teach the kids and the hubs how to treat you everyday. Everyday they should thank you. Everyday they should honor you. Everyday they should be aware of your contribution.

It is absurd to imagine they will get it if you don't take time to explain it to them.

Did you just assume they would figure out how to tie their shoes if you didn't repeatedly show them 
OVER AND OVER AND OVER?

Why not?

Because, . . . they don't have any experience right?

Well.....

You need to provide them the experience of being respectful, courteous, polite, grateful, adoring, helpful, aware, conscious, and DIALED IN to what you do for them and what it means to have a mother who loves them, sacrifices for them, and blesses their lives with support.



Wait. Hold on. That is not what you were told. Right?

We are suppose to humbly just serve until our fingers are raw and one day hope for perhaps some token of appreciation from those we give our lives for. If we just

W.A.I.T.

They will get it one day... Right?

One day, probably during their mission farewell, they will mention us. They will express it. They will articulate their gratitude and find the words we have been waiting all our lives to hear.

I am so THANKFUL for my mom.



FINALLY!!!!! 
Hey, you knew if you waited long enough SOMEONE would finally say it!!!

Phew, THAT WAS WORTH IT.

*

Um, NOPE.


*


Fact is WE MAKE LIFE BEAUTIFUL. Period.

We see the stuff men miss. We know the stuff about our children no one else does.

We are amazing.

THEREFORE

Why do we need someone else to tell us that?

Does the ocean only become extraordinary when we quantify its grander with adjectives?

No.

The ocean is not waiting for 'ocean day'.




So the crux of the point I'm making is this:

Moms CHOSE to be moms.  We are not victims of motherhood.

We chose to make you. We chose to bring you here.

We know it.

We are glad we did it.

We are AMAZING.

Period.


(This is my mom. She taught me many things.
 Mostly, about what kind of mom I wanted to be.
I am grateful for that!)

 I remember a church talk several years ago. It was a Mother's Day' AMONY. 

1. It went on FOREVER....seriously.

2. It was filled with phrases like 'women are the most precious, wonderful, under appreciated...etc....

3. It was meant to inspire us and make us feel FINALLY appreciated.

Instead, . . .   It made me think this:

" Good holy motherhood, enough already, I want to stick hot needles in my ears .
 Enough! I am getting SO SICK OF MOTHERS and... I AM ONE!!!
 Imagine what the the rest of the congregation feels, SHEESH!  Gag me with an apron."
 
"I would suggest to the saints that the sermons of the church be short, and if not filled with life and spirit may they be shorter still."
 
BRIGHAM YOUNG

It is a fact that each one of my kids 

ADORES ME.

That is not an accident.

They have been taught to.

I deserve it.

They know it.

I don't need the one day 'mom o' rama'

I feel it everyday.

Every. Single. Day.

IS

MOTHER'S DAY 

at our house.

Fact is, there would be no Y.O.U. and no H.O.U.S.E. if it was not for 

M.E.



Okay to be fair, I wouldn't be a mother if it was not for THEM either.

It is the single greatest experience of my life.

I get it.

I absolutely honor, respect and revere knowing this single truth.

EVERYDAY.

Don't get me wrong I LOVED 

the lilacs, and french perfume and love letters...

but...

Getting to be their mother IS the reward.

I AM

a

MOTHER.

Today and EVERYDAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment