Saturday, May 26, 2012

awake


awake

i was asleep
inside my shell
i was unaware
of a living hell

i hid from worry
i hid from stress
i fixed my mind
on unhappiness

call it something else,
i'd say
if i pretend...
 it will go away

fooled my soul
for far too long
in my heart i knew
that direction was wrong

i had tried so
many ways
to find the path
wherein joy stays

then one day
i did a simple thing
i walked the block
and chose to sing

a song about redemption
from my own prison
a body stuck and
addiction ridden

i kept on waking
i started running
i purposely moved
 life became stunning

the light came in
the flip turned "on"
my goal now is
a half marathon

i woke up from a
nightmarish dream
and being awake
i want to scream

don't give up!
you can always wake!
find the light
for your soul's sake

let go of sleeping
let go of dreaming
put aside your roadblocks
and embrace meaning

it starts with a step
an example, a plan
make today YOUR day
i know you can

I did it, and that is
where my life began




3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Debi! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty. Strength. Intelligence. Fortitude. Dedication. Faith. Debi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My. Favorite. Compliment. Of. All. Time. xo

    ReplyDelete