Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Judge not that ye be not 'A JERK'


A possible translation? Alteration? Come on, that's what it means right? Well, it actually says "that ye be not judged". Fact is, we are all judging all the time. I know I am. I had an Epiphany recently that is blog worthy.

My sister and I had an angry tangle. I had written her a letter not mincing any words, or sugar coating them for easy swallowing. I just layed it all out there. Felt indignant. Felt justified. Felt frustration. Felt satisfied.

Then, she texted me.

She said, "I was judging her". "I was being 'self righteousness' "

At first, I was ticked. I shared it with my husband who readily jumped on my side of the issues and defended me. Darn right he should. I was right after all...

The next morning, I spent some quiet time alone before everyone else woke up, reading a few conference talks. I re-read the message from President Monson. I discovered, I was doing the exact same thing that had been done to me earlier in the year. I was destroyed by that experience. I was sick to realized I had done something equal to that wounding moment. In fact, I was the one doing the 'wounding'. I truly was called to repent. I was wrong. Ouch.

Here is the link to that perfect message:
http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/59921/Judge-not-President-Monson-counsels-women.html

I wrote my sister and apologized and instantly felt the Spirit return to my heart. I asked her to forgive me and let it go. It healed our relationship and brought a very real element to our connection. That feeling of reconciliation was so sweet instead of the sour 'rightness' of judging.

Wow, was that ever the right thing to do. I am so grateful for a Modern Day prophet. I am so grateful I listened. I am so grateful I took my 'righteous pride' and tossed it aside and put my relationship with my sister in front of being 'right'.
It was difficult. It hurt to grow that way. It also kept me from being a 'jerk'.

Why do we do this to each other so often?

Why do we think we know what they should do. We have the perfect answer to all of their problems if they would just do 1., 2,. 3.... then they would be happier right? Oh, I see, you don't do that?.... Well, ask yourself if you have ever thought this;

"He should just stop smoking"
"She should stop spending so much"
"He should pay more attention to his family"
"She should be more organized"
"He should have thought of that before he married her"
"She should have seen that coming"
"He should have worked harder"
"She should yell less"
"He should just exercises more"
"I would never do that"
"I would never wear that"
"I would never need that"
"I would never be that way"
"I would never let my kid do that"
"I would never make that choice"

shouldwouldshoulwouldshouldwouldshouldwouldshouldwouldshouldwould

No?, yeah, I have NEVER said those kind of things to myself or to others... LIE

I totally have.

Lesson on the Ferris wheel of life d'jour.

DON'T JUDGE

Because you do not know what that person's life is all about. You don't know what kind of hurt they may be getting over. You do not know what lessons they learned badly growing up. You are not them. You simply can't know what is in their heart.You do not have the information to judge anyone else because you do not know where anyone is coming from but you. Sure you might be able to do those things better but I bet you there is something that person does better than you too.

Only HE can judge us. Only HE heal us. Why would we dare to assume WE could do what HE does? Its the most arrogant and self involved perspective imaginable.


The fact is we are all broken people. No one on the planet is whole yet.
We can never say never, we can never gloat in should/would.

That, I did learn from my experience last year of being on the other side of the conceited judgement. I will take the 'higher' road and walk with my imperfect self along side with everyone else and their 'imperfect' selves...I will keep trying to be a better me and that includes having a better perspective on judgement.

I am going to do much better. I am. At least I am going to try a lot harder.One brushstroke at a time until I get it right. One brush at a time....

10 comments:

  1. Trust me, it was not 'easy' to apologize for something I was so sure I was right about. I'm just so glad I 'listened to a prophet's voice'. The timing was inspired. Not an easy lesson and one I will still struggle with for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that's hard. There have been a few times I felt so justified in speaking my mind, sure I was in the right, but when I did it caused so much upset feelings I have decided that just because I think I'm in the right doesn't mean I should say it or I will feel better if I do say it. I let a lot of things go now. Some may call it repression, but I know I'm handling things in a mature, forgiving way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wondered if they 'needed' to hear the truth from somebody. Why doesn't somebody just tell them?... right? I think the real deal is that they already know. How to have a genuine relationship with them when you are so at odds with their decisions?...that I need to know how to do better. The phrase "Just love them." comes to mind, but there is still that itchy part of who I am that wants to say something... working on that balance is difficult in the extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also want to add, although by NO MEANS am I perfect at not judging people, but along with that fact that you shouldn't judge people, it is also an enormous blessing to not HAVE to judge people. Do you know what I mean? For example, I'm so grateful I don't have to decide who gets to go to what Kingdom at the judgment seat because I am sure that it not going to be an easy thing to do. Like you said, you would have to know someone heart to know the what, why, hows of their actions and decisions.
    One other thing on the subject. In my experience, 85% of the time the things I don't like about other people are really things I don't like about myself. And I have found it to be true over and over and over and over again.

    Side note: I love that you are so honest and open. I think you are amazing and you are a REAL down to Earth practical person and i so admire you. I need to be more like that. I've gotten too good at hiding how I really feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooo Rachael, SO true... I heard that once before but did not consider it in this situation. You are so right. Well, definately on point about the person who judged me anyway :P JK.

    Yeah, I am actualy very guilty about hiding how I really feel. I am just at a stage in life where I am learning to change it. Not easy stuff. Real is more difficult but in the long run better. It ALWAYS comes out anyway, whether you plan for it or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who was judging you? I'm gonna beat them up.

    ...is that judgmental?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Laura, you are awesome. I'd put my dukes up for you too. Anyday :) PS. Tell Tom I put some RUSH songs on my Ipod to prepare to Rock! :) I am changing my opinion one nasal note at a time :) Seriously, that trip sounds so wonderful bout' now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so I'm disputing the idea: DON'T JUDGE.
    Here's a good read:

    http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=2548

    ReplyDelete