Monday, July 23, 2012

BRAGnar (Ragnar Relay) and WHY I AM PUTTING THE STICKER ON!

BRAGnar
(Ragnar Relay)
 and
WHY I AM PUTTING THE STICKER

ON!

I said, "Eh, I'll run Ragnar, but I'm not putting that 'I'm in the Ragnar Club" sticker on my car.

Marc said, "Oh YES you are."

I said, "Nah, its too prosaic." "I'm not that brand of person"

Then....

We ran 200 miles from Canada to Seattle.
I ran 15.5 of them, over 2 days with my wonderful husband.

and I realized...

It is ALL symbolic.  Its not the 'club' you join, but the moments that change you.

Supportive, generous, kindly, good hearted, hard working, courageous people watch over each other and encourage and lift and support you. Once you have been through it, every time you see the symbol it means you KNOW exactly who that person is and what they can endure.

 These Ragnar sticker bearers are brave enough to ask something remarkable of themselves and

ACTUALLY ACCOMPLISH IT

Visibly

The humans, we think so much of ourselves sometimes don't we?
I do. I get caught up in my 'isms'. I will admit it first, because I can get pretty full of myself.

I need portions of humble pie on the hour almost.  Ragnar is humble pie on steroids.

Vulnerable to the elements and on your own to get to the next exchange you learn to appreciate Heavenly Father's natural world and your place in it. You are a speck.  He is in charge. Lesson #1.

Running through Heavenly Father's creations

and

Taking them ALL in every mile and minute and moment

Changed my perspective forever.

It is humbling.

It is astounding what HE has made and how he has created such a sphere of layered life for us all.
Like this photo above.  Those are HIS mountains, that little pile of rocks there, is OURS.

We are nothing.

Our accomplishments are so very minor in the grand scheme of life and existence and eternal progression.  Its laughable, really. Hilarious, actually.


And yet, what running has taught me is the very stuff God wants me to learn.

It plants a tiny seed of eternal understanding.
I acknowledge my reliance on a Heavenly Father.
I actuate my physical form to perform courageous ideals.

...and when I do.

I change.

I find the courage to conquer other parts of my life that are askew.

Because I have done something extremely difficult physically, 

I know I can conquer the other columns in my life.

If you have done it before, you remember it and it gives your strength a definition.

I don't think it really matters what area you strive for success in. I don't.

It is not just running that gives you this.

However

It is my opinion that running

GIVES IT TO YOU FASTER

than waiting a lifetime to find it elsewhere

I did it.

I ran 15.5 miles

In one year I went from walking around my block one time to running with my team 200 miles.

THAT is definitely worth

A

BRAGNAR

sticker

CELEBRATION!

I'm not apologizing anymore.  I'm going to own my life and live it

like

a

RUNNER

courageous, spirited, humble, honest, faithfull, heartily, with verve and being r.e.a.l.





STICKER


AND
 ALL

5 comments:

  1. Debi,
    Well said. Very well said. Inspiring to say the least. Keep it up!
    I too have started running recently. Still learning to love it and to not give up when it gets hard; looking forward to having something to show for it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suz! Awesome! That photo on facebook was great. Keep it up, it can kind of be love/hate for a while, but hang in there. It is certainly worth the focus and effort. Love to you cuz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that picture with the rock cairn, such an awesome way to look at it. That's amazing that in ONE YEAR you made such a huge difference in your ability to run!! And with lupus no less! That should be inspiring to anyone. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and that you're putting the sticker on your car :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks M. I wish you were with me though. I just want to see Carson in a super tight T-shirt again. :) LOL. I had to trade mine back same story. Thank you for being a great support and example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good, but anyone can get a Ragnar sticker without running Ragnar. The things are plastered all over Utah county. i'm pretty sure everyone in Utah hasn't ran Ragnar but they all have stickers. Its branding BS and my 85 year old grandpa has one.

    ReplyDelete