Monday, December 17, 2012

Memory Maker ~ Tradition Shaker

I frequently share with my husband that I feel like December is my proverbial;
Accountant's TAX SEASON
Movie Producer's OPENING NIGHT
Landscaper's HEAT WAVE
Retailer's BLACK FRIDAY
 
You get it. It is CRUNCH time for Moms, Mother's, People Makers,
 Home Management HOTTIES.
Winter holiday plans can be a 10 on the 'stress O' meter' for the like of us.
 
 
 
So, I am watching this holiday movie the other day.
Something occurred to me that had not before....
THAT IS A SET
Yes, the place upon which carols were sung, and cider sipped was a
HOLLYWOOD SET made by professionals...
 
 
It was perfect in every way. Holiday perfect...
 I realized that had been in my head for years. I realized that I had put these warm and
 family functional scenes that entered my head as
THE END ALL
 
 
I n.e.v.e.r. had one single holiday that looked like that in real life.
Well, not in my formative years, after I married,
I did have days the resembled those perfect moments .. .
 
 
 
 
 
Before I married. I would look into other families houses from the outside and marvel at what seemed to be such a flurry of activity and light and happiness from the inside of the house.
 
I would walk by them and plan.
 
I was going to do that with my family.
 
I was going to
 
be
 
PERFECT
 
 
 
 
Marc and I's first Christmas we set up a thousand TRADITIONS.
We wanted to start things out 'right' and face forward and never relent from our
IDEALS
 
Well, it has been 17 years and we successfully do these things every year:
 
Go for a drive and choose our favorite decorated house and leave
 them an anonymous note with treats.
Give thank you gifts to the mailman, the garbage truck, teachers, and bus drivers
Homemade presents exchange for each other
Make an homemade ornament
Choose your own ornament from the store (Which collection you will receive when you move away)
Sprinkle 'raindeer' dust on the sidewalk on Christmas Eve...
Read the Christmas Story
Marc sings 'Silent Night' on Christmas Eve
Everyone opens up homemade Christmas pajamas on Christmas Eve to wear that night
Kids wake up with a new Christmas blanket Christmas morning
We make Strawberry waffles with ICE CREAM in the morning
 
Well, you get the drift...
 
It is . . .
 
well
 
beautiful
 
and
 
EXHAUSTING
 
So, I keep doing e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. EVERY YEAR...Exhaustion IS my gift to them.
__________________________________________________________________________
 
 
You see.... I want my children to have sweet memories
I want to give them what I never had
 
WHAT I REALIZED
 
IS
 
OBVIOUS
 
...to you as the reader
I am sure at this point...
 
 
 
I am fairly decent at cutting through the rubbish and getting to what is important.
 
In fact, I lecture on this exact principle every season in different church groups.
 
The presentation is called 'RIDING THE CHRISTMAS WAVE'
a PowerPoint focused on simplifying
 
What I have finally discovered is that I am STILL taking stuff I always needed and putting it all
 on a set of children that have never experienced a deficit in anyway in this category
 
except that....
 
BY THE TIME
 
CHRISTMAS DAY IS HERE
 
I AM SO THOROUGHLY EXHAUSTED
 
I AM NOT EMOTIONALLY, OR MENTALLY AVAILABLE
TO ANYONE, EVEN....MY OWN WORN OUT SELF...
 
 
 
so
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Why would I do that to my own kids?
 
Exhaust and wear out their own mother...
 
The SOURCE of
 
kids
 
COMFORT AND JOY.
 
MOMMY and DADDY
 
It is just a guess
but I am thinking
 
They will remember US
 
and
 
What it felt like to be in our home and celebrate
 
HIM
 
more
 
than
 
THIS LADY
 
 
Family
 
IN TACT
 
AND WHOLE
 
AND PEACE FILLED
 
 
 
 
 


4 comments:

  1. I want to know all about strawberry waffles and ice cream. Sounds like a new tradition in the Atwood histeria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade waffles with fresh strawberries and mixed with sugar. Top hot waffle with scoop of vanilla, strawberries, and whip cream. Mommy.Mommy.Mommy. AMAZING. Trade you one for some of your homemade biscuits :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting. Especially since I didn't grow up with a deficit in that area so I often take a more chill approach to Christmas 'cause I figure the kids don't give a rip about anything besides the tree, the presents and some sugar. I like having traditions but I also like trying new things so I try not to lock us in to places we HAVE to go, movies we HAVE to watch, etc... just as long as it feels like Christmas. And yet I still often feel exhausted by Dec 25. Last year when I totally choked playing the piano for the special musical number in sacrament meeting it was a wake-up call for me that now that I have more kids I need to dial it back even more. I have been reading the first book in the Little House series to my kids and thinking about this and I think we do so much to make Christmas special because in truth we have special things all the time, so it has to be larger than life to even seem different from our daily lives. SO... what can I cut out?? Tell me what you're cutting out.

    PS I love your Ms. Debi Claus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so I bailed on the homemade pajamas. I sewed the sleeves together! I bought some this year! They do match all 5 of them.:) I'm a certifiable d.o.r.k. and a sentimental mom. I am just going to let the house go for a week and enjoy the babies I have given my life to by being 'PRESENT' instead of focusing on 'presents' :)

    ReplyDelete