Saturday, March 19, 2011

40 Favorite Mommy moments


Okay, its getting closer, the big 40.... I better get my "40" favorite posts done in the next few weeks. Here is an easy one to write. Forty of my favorite Mommy moments.

1.Insisting on driving home from the hospital with newborn Adam. I was convinced I would be a safer driver than Marc. I was so anxiety ridden that I drove about 20 miles an hour the whole way and if even one car got close to mine I was like, "Hey! Don't you know there is a baby in this car! Watch out!"
*
2.When Lily jumped into my arms after her first primary talent show. She made up her own little dance, wore a pink tutu and just killed with a ballerina bow at the end. As soon as she finished she leaped into my arms and squeezed me so hard.
*
3.Volunteering in Adam's kindergarten class and having Carter by side, my 3 year old, telling the 5 and 6 year old kids I was testing the correct answers.
*
4.When Aspen, our dog, finally got to have Adam to herself. I had been keeping her away from him for fear of her 'germs'. We were playing tennis and Ad was in his car seat and she came with us, found him and and was licking the inside of his mouth! I went screaming across the court like a mad woman. Funny now.
*
5. Listening to the little boys made up songs they would sing on our hour long drive to the coast in Oregon. Vecksha Vecksha vor wieeezzz, oh no another Wyeeezzzz...
*
6. Adam comforting Carter as in infant. Patting his little head and singing "I am a child of God"
*
7. Having a baby girl and FINALLY getting to do girl 'hairdos'. That sweet baby had more giant bows and headbands. Marc nicknamed me the 'hair bow bully' because I kind of forced her to doll up.
*
8.Homemade Christmas presents from the kids to each other. Homemade apron for Lily, wallet for Adam and stuffed hearts for Carter.
*
9. Big giant sized smiles when we have Sunday dessert. So happy are the faces of the Reeves family on a Sunday afternoon.
*
10.The family quoteables. "Carter, what do you think they are going to build in that construction sight by Fred Meyer?", "A statue of me."
*
11.When only Mom is what they need. They just need their mom, and then everything is all better.
*
12.Playing loud music in the car with all the windows down everybody rocking out and the wind making our hair crazy.
*
13.The finished product of a re-done room, complete with new bed sheets or clean windows, or an organized closet. The little proud faces that look up at me.
*
14.Family home evening when you really do feel a witness of Jesus Christ's truth in the message and moment of being together as a family. When you know the kids have felt it too, and it makes them want to do better.
*
15.Going on field trips with the kids and having them give you that 'your the best mom in the world' look.
*
16.Working in the yard together, especially the garden, in the warm evenings of summer. Having the kids carry the 'fruits' of their labor inside to eat.
*
17. Just the simple pleasure of working on homework at the dinning room table after school with papers everywhere and moments of 'ah ha' happening.
*
18.Sunday sacrament meeting sitting with our family and having a feeling all is right in the world even if it is for just a few hours.
*
19.Holding my babies even when my house was messy, wisely knowing it would not last and just breathing in the new baby smell and resting into the warmth of an infant.
*
20.Washing little tiny pants and shirts and socks. Doing an entire load of pink laundry for Lily.
*
21.Camping with the kids. The security of all being in the tent together, tucked in, zipped up in sleeping bags and the deep quiet of the forest.
*
22.Trick or treating all dressed up and so excited to run to each door with the look of 'wait, all I have to do it ring the bell, say, "trick or treat"' and people will just keep putting candy in my bag!" Wow!
*
23. Reading that extra book for bedtime stories, when you are done, but they are not and just want 'one more story'...I have never regretted adding one more...ever
*
24.Taking pride in a teenager when you just start to see everything you have worked for begin to manifest itself in their integrity or wise choices.
*
25.Wednesday night's tradition of 'tea party time' with my precious daughter.
*
26. Sleeping under the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve, eve.
*
27. Hugs, kisses, squeezes of the knees, pulling on my pant legs, and piggy back rides.
*
28. Taking the family bike ride with Dad, Mom, Adam, Carter, and Lily in a row, like little ducks.
*
29.All the sports sports sports, every game, every up to bat, every goal, every tackle, every basket, every shot, every cheer. All of that.
*
30. The giggling. The pure laughter that only comes from small children.
*
31.Making complete healthy meals and feeding my family what nurtures them and satisfies and the take away that I am doing right by them.
*
32.Birthday parties, every balloon, every homemade cake, every creative invitation, every special present that surprised them, every 'theme' every single one.
*
33. Swimming with my babies and the safe harbour you are to them in the water.
*
34.Napping with small warm sweet toddlers and babies watching their every facial expression and movement with bursting love in my heart.
*
35.The pure exhaustion of having had another day with my children, driving them everywhere, making sure they have what they need, listening to their hearts and minds, providing a safe place to fall and the tapped out feeling of having given my all, the very best of me to them.
*
36. The sleepy happy grin of a babe waking up and waiting for you to get them from their crib
*
37. Knowing that it only takes the sound of my fingers 'snapping' to scare even a 15 year old into better behavior.
*
38.The precious feeling of a little hand reaching for mine to cross a street.
*
39. When they are sick and fevered and knowing how to ease their discomfort, soothe their sadness, and make it all better.
*
40. The quiet of the night when all are safely gathered in sleeping in their own beds, well, happy, cared for, prayed over, clean, well fed, well loved and protected.

Yes, 40 is old. But, I would not change one single part of the privilege of becoming a mother and wife and the blessed days therein. I'll take 40 if it comes with getting Adam, Carter and Lily Anna Reeves. Any day :) There are only about 10 thousand more memories like this and I wish for more more more!

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh warm fuzzes warm fuzzes warm fuzzes!!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a mother heart, Debi! I love this post and need reminders to enjoy the little moments with my kids instead of counting down to bedtime or preschool. It can be so exhausting, but the love makes it all worthwhile. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been pondering JOY of late. This was a good contribution.

    ReplyDelete