Sunday, March 6, 2011

40 is not for whimps



Good honk I'm getting old. I remember my first class at BYU-H. It was a Sociology class. There was a student in the class who had 3 kids and he was 40 years old. I truly could not get over the fact that I was sharing the classroom with a person who was 21 years older than me. How could that be possible? Was I not just in a class with a bunch of 18 year old adolescents? How could this guy be in MY class?

Man he was sooooo O. L. D.

and now....SO AM I !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my month. This my birthday month. Its coming...... F.O.R.T.Y. years old.

Wait, do you even say that with a 'years old' on the end? Nah. Just forty. Plain, ole FOR Tee!!

Dang it.

Well, I'm not much for trying to FORCE myself backwards with any thing that ends in 'TOX' or trying to lift anything 'upward' with anything that has saline in it. So, I shall 'gracefully' descend into the second half of my time on this planet. Most folks in my fam have their 'walking' papers by about 80 ish. So I will look at it like I am right in the middle.

Revelation, that's why they call it 'MIDDLE AGE' isn't it.

Ah well. Tis' fine by me, really. I can dig it.

40

In light of this half way mark, I am keen to do a few posts this birthday month called "Top 40". Read um and weep.

Sacajawea's Top 40 favorite places (not in order, mind you)

1. Right in front of the ocean. Where the wind from the waves hits my face.
2. Pali Lookout Oahu Hawaii. Warm wind swirling around the mountain tops.
3. At my dining room table with my family only. Just them.
4. Post massage bliss on the table with my face in that crazy circle thing.
5. Portland Rose Garden. Playing tennis with the rose vines blooming in the fence.
6. Rattlesnake Mt., North Bend Washington. Right on top.
7. In 'Green Boy' a blanket I made for Marc about 10 years ago. It is the warmest blanket in the whole wide world. Made with chenille and batting and fleece. Ahh.
8. In my garden bout' mid July with the fragrance of tomato plants and Basil.
9. Holding one of my babies when they were so small. Looking at every detail of their faces. Memorizing the moment. Taking deep breaths of their pure and sweet.
10. Spooning with Marc. He is exactly my right size. My perfect spoon.
11. Just out of a hot bath with baby oil and lavender...climbing in a fluffy robe and then hiding under my bed blankets reading.
12. Waimea canyon Kauai, Hawaii.
13. The stunning red mesa of Lupton Arizona. Hot red rock and dry air.
14. Holding hands with Marc in the movie theater.
15. Sitting on the couch Christmas morning and watching my children's reactions.
16. Downtown San Francisco with a sourdough bowl and clam chowder.
17. The initiatory room at the temple.
18. Portland temple grounds in the Spring. Tulips and Daffodils galore.
19. Late night chats with my sister. Giggling.
20. Flying above Oahu and looking at the water. It is shocking its so blue and so inviting.
21. In my own kitchen after I mop and it smells like lemon.
22. Days Canyon, Utah.
23. Family Home Evening with Marc's parents
24. Santa Cruz, California in the fog and mist.
25. Swimming . . . anywhere.
26. Dukes, restaurant...eating the Halibut.
27. Celestial room of San Diego temple. Provo temple, Salt Lake temple, Portland temple, Seattle temple, Manti Temple, Laie HI temple, Oakland temple, St. George temple.... you get the picture
28. Teaching . . .
29. In my own bed after traveling.
30. Dash Point
31. Hiking Wakeena Falls, Oregon
32. Cannon Beach, Oregon
33. Big Sur, California
34. Highway 26 to Seaside Oregon
35. Any library
36. Sitting by my husband and children in Sacrament meeting
37. Gisborne New Zealand
38. The Navajo Indian Reservation
39. North Carolina back roads in my convertible Karmen Ghia.
40. Reading until the wee hours of the morning....alone and in the perfect quiet.

If I hadn't lived almost 40 years, I guess I would not have seen or been to all of these places. See I told you 40 is not so bad ;)

1 comment:

  1. you rock my sistah from another mistah! i love you!!!

    ReplyDelete