Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sit by me


never as 'popular' I am
as when dinner arrives at table
harried children scramble and squirm
with all they are able

the cries of 'i'm sitting by mom'
strike the air with feverish plea
oh, but to sit by mom at dinner tonight
would make a new child of me

often i marvel at this simple childhood agony
a beggar to reside at my motherly knee

so surely as i strive through the long night and long day
i should seek keenly to 'sit' with Him the same way

"I'm sitting by HIM", wait now, thats MY spot!
I've claimed this place by His side as I've sought
Calmed now by presence, by Holy light and pure faith
I think I can offer a mother's loving grace

"Come sit by me, child", "Come draw to my knee"
You and I will settle the day together as not you or me,
but near nigh now as "WE"

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. This is a good reminder that I need to treasure my children's attention rather than finding it an obstacle at times.

    ReplyDelete