Saturday, July 23, 2011

"You're gonna have to kill me"

Last Saturday, this exact time, I was reeling from severe dehydration and trip to the ER. Long story short, I got food poisoning and combine that with Lupus and retching my guts out for about 10 hours straight, blood included = an emergency trip to the ER, a massive dose of steroids, IV fluids and a major 'flare up' of my autoimmune disease, which takes vulnerability like that and goes turbo.

Okay, not exactly the short version....Yada yada yada...and....

I was 'commanded' to eat Popsicles, drink soda pop and only do fluids for 3 days. I asked the doctor if I could do 'diet' drinks, i.e,...no sugar. He answered, "If your car runs out of gas, do you fill it with water?"

"No", ....I mumbled.

So sugar it was for 2 days, day 3 I switched to sugar free.



This brand of traumatic health event happens to me a lot. I remember most events in life by their proximity to crisis just like this. Pleurisy (itis), Gastroenteritis (itis), Emdometriosis (itis), Asthma(itis), Gall Bladder removal(itis), Adrenal Hemorage (itis), Sinus infection (itis), pneumonia (itis), and even crazy person (itis)

I am Queen of the ITIS, landmine lady of health, "Debi Disease".

It usually pulls the rug out from under me and I pop into 'survival mode' and 'endurance' mode.

This time I did not do that.



Although, I was shaky and dizzy, on the 3rd day I went for a walk. The 4th day I did weights and an aerobics tape, (low intensity) and began my eating program again. High protein, low fat, low carb, fresh vegs and fruit, whole grain, lean protien.

Not easy, because my guts were in a twist and the last thing I wanted to eat was an egg or lettuce. Any kind of meat was enough to make me lose it completely.




The fifth day I went for a five mile hike with my kids.

Felt like someone had pulled my plug, but I did it and ate perfectly.




And now, exactly one week later I am completely back with no major change to what I've been reaching for in my goals. I have to tell you that it.... FEELS GREAT!!!

I did not toss up my well worn white flag and succumb to my pattern of being 'wiped out' and 'too weary' to keep striving.

I pretty much felt like I had been hit by a bus. This time I hit back.

As I was running last night and on my elliptical machine today, I felt a deep sense of drain and pull from my sick body. I literally gritted my teeth and said out loud, "Your gonna have to kill me". "I am not stopping". "So there".



I'm not giving up this time. I'm completely back if not better cardiowise after 1 week and eating my proteins and veggies. I made it.

( I hope the 'forces that be' don't actually take me seriously in my determined speeches on the treadmill, however.) I like life too much :)

MVBL Week 7

3 comments:

  1. glad to know you're feeling better, Debbie. I didn't know you had so many health issues! I've always thought you to be so upbeat and happy that I never would have guessed you have health challenges. Keep up the positive attitude! It will see you through most trials. You have a beautiful smile and personality and you are a wonderful person! I'm glad to know you...

    ReplyDelete